Wednesday 27 September 2017

Final Reflections on Exploring Ideas Course

Exploring Ideas course has been an emotive and challenging journey. I made a few difficult decisions at the end. But I am not going to get emotional. I want to keep this blog post short and list my takeaway points from my learning.

Assignment 1: Cultural Infusions: This assignment gave me the opportunity to dive into my own heritage and work with some of my mum’s own vintage textiles. It was great to talk to her about her work. I looked into techniques like Gold Work and Cross Stitch, which are way out of my comfort zone. I didn’t use to like traditional techniques because they focus on getting the technique perfect. I tried my hand at them, explored how they can be pushed forward. I ended up making The Mask. Figuring out how to construct it was a lot of work. In hindsight, I shouldn’t have spent so much time on an assignment that is not going to be assessed. But I learned to overcome my own judgment of what I thought to be traditional. It also gave me the confidence to design more structural textile pieces.
S Payne - The Mask
 Assignment 2: Screen Printing: It is really challenging to produce good prints without proper facilities, which many OCA students don’t have at home. I took my tutor’s (Pat Hodson) advice and signed up for a local Screen Printing course. The experience was invaluable. I learned different print mediums and techniques. I tried to achieve some of the successes at home. For this assignment, I was focused on designing patterns. In all my drawings, inspirations from source images, I attempted to see and create patterns. I loved this process. I ended up producing many samples and tried as many techniques as possible.
S Payne - Screen Print Design
Assignment 3: Reveal and Conceal: This was my favourite assignment. I found the ‘material led approach’ very liberating. It is great to observe, respond and record how the material behaves once a manipulation technique is applied. It is an experimental and playful approach. I enjoyed responding to the process rather than following a strict plan and getting upset about when things go wrong. I tried to explore outcomes emotionally as well as visually. It really helped me loosen up. It shows in my sketchbooks too. I used my sketchbooks not just for drawing, but for recording, collecting, collaging, juxtaposing, photocopying, mark making, pattern searching.
S Payne - Mixed Media Textile Piece
Assignment 4: Contextual Studies: This was my least favourite assignment. Particularly because I found not having access to proper resources very limiting. At the time I did the assignment, OCA students were not allowed to borrow books from UCA Farnham Library. I went to the library and looked up and photocopied as many articles as possible. Access to their electronic library would have been invaluable. I found lot resources online too. I already knew some of the names I am assigned to research already. Still, I discovered artists whose work I wasn’t familiar before; eg: Yinka Shonibare, Leon Bakst, Magdalena Abakanowicz. I wrote my essay on Magdalena Abakanowicz. Her art and her desire to make art was inspirational. I really enjoyed studying Issey Miyake in depth. 

Assignment 5: Personal Project: I tried to apply my learning to this project. I chose a simple source image/inspiration: fish bones. I tried to note the feelings this image evoked in me and I aimed to emulate them. I wanted to design a surface using printing but I wasn’t sure how the process would develop. I worked fast due to time constraints but I worked focused. I did a lot of drawings before settling down to the final design. To create a print with enough detail and clarity, I decided to design a thermofax screen for my final print. I wasn’t happy with my first prints. Therefore I changed the colour and darkened the tones. I introduced machine and hand stitching to refer to the structures of first sketches. End-result is a constructed fabric, which can be made into a garment. 
S Payne - Personal Project Surface Design
My tutor Neil Musson (assignment 3 onwards) told me that I demonstrate a continuity of ideas and attention to detail in quality. He would have liked to see more sampling and I can take colour ideas further. He also emphasized that I need to record more thoughts and explanations in my sketchbooks. I usually write my thoughts and reflections on my blog. I guess I need to develop a more intimate relationship with my sketchbook. I think my sketchbooks are getting better but I still have a long way to go developing my own style and working methods.

I hope my portfolio demonstrates the skills I developed. Through this course, I fell in love with surface design and printing. I very much love to explore more.

I feel accomplished finishing the course but I am also aware the amount I need to learn to improve my textile practice. It is a lifelong learning journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment